At Child Rescue Nepal, we are committed to respecting and protecting your privacy.
Please read our privacy notice carefully. By providing us with your personal information, you consent to the use of it in accordance with the conditions of this notice. In keeping with data protection legislation, we will not hold your personal information for longer than is necessary.
We may update this notice from time to time. If we make any significant changes, we will either get in touch to let you know (if we have your permission to contact you) or highlight the changes on our website and on this page.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHERE WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect your personal information in the following ways:
When you give it to us directly
You may have provided us with your personal information directly. Examples include:
– In person or through the post
– Enquiring about Child Rescue Nepal through our website or by telephone
– Through social media
– Signing up to receive our newsletters
– Fundraising for us or donating to us
– Applying for a job or volunteering with us
When you give it to us indirectly
Your information might be shared with us through independent third-party interactions. For example, through other campaigning organisations we work with, or through fundraising platforms like JustGiving or Virgin Money Giving. These third parties will only provide us with your information if you have given your permission for it to be shared with us.
Occasionally we might work with trusted partners or suppliers who work with us or on our behalf and may ask you to provide your information under our instruction. This will remain within our privacy notice; your personal information will come through to us and won’t be held with the third party.
When you engage with Child Rescue Nepal’s social media accounts, we might also obtain your personal information through your use of platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn, depending on your settings or the privacy notices of these social media and messaging services. To change your settings, please refer to their privacy notices which will tell you how to do this.
When you visit our websites or social media
The information which Child Rescue Nepal obtains shall be entirely dependent on how you use the website and its services. The information which can be gained generally falls into two categories: personal and non-personal. For general browsing of the website you are not required to enter any details and therefore information gained will only be non-personal, which does not identify you. For instance, the IP address from which the website was accessed, the pages viewed and any files which were downloaded. This information is used to help us maximise your and others’ enjoyment of the website and to understand our viewers.
Your personal information such as name and email address will only be accessed or acquired if disclosed to Child Rescue Nepal for subscription or payment purposes.
When your information is available publicly
So that we can tailor the way we communicate with you about our work and make our communications more relevant to you, we might gather publicly available information about you. This could include your interests, postcode-based demographics, and past campaigning or donation activities. Through understanding more about you we can be more cost-effective in our marketing, campaigning and fundraising communications to you, and better inform you about our work.
We may gather this information from online articles and newspapers, and social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or Instagram. This information is only accessible based on the permission you give through these services. If you are unsure about what these permissions are, or would like to change them, check the privacy notices on their websites.
We might also gather publicly available information about individuals who may be interested in supporting or giving major gifts to charities or organisations like us in the future. However, we will never keep potential donors’ publicly available information without their consent, which will be sought at the earliest practical opportunity.
Find out how we use this information under ‘Analysis, research and building supporter profiles’ which can be found in the ‘How we use your personal information’ section of this notice.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect relevant personal information depending on the interaction you have with us. This might include (but isn’t limited to) your title, name, contact details and preferences, how you choose to support us, for example: taking a campaign action, organising events, donating or fundraising, ordering resources, signing up to receive our email newsletters, taking part in competitions or surveys, registering to come to events or engaging with us through our social media pages or through our Supporter Services team.
Personal information is anything that can be used to identify you as an individual. It can include your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, bank account details, credit/debit card details and whether you are a UK tax payer (so that we can claim Gift Aid).
Credit, debit card payment information
If you use your credit or debit card to buy something from us, donate or fundraise for us, we will ensure that this is done securely and in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). To find out more about PCI DSS standards, visit their website at www.pcisecuritystandards.org. Following the completion of your transaction, card details and validation codes are securely destroyed once the payment or donation has been processed.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
– To provide support in relation to our services, products or other information requested by you, or in relation to correspondence entered with us. For example, we use your personal information to investigate, and respond to, enquiries, complaints, or other issues.
– To process purchases (as well as send them), donations (including claiming Gift Aid), as well as to verify any transactions entered into with us.
– To administer events, purchases, donations, fundraising or any other support required or where required or authorised by law to do so.
– We use your information to keep a record of your relationship with us and for administrative purposes (such as our accounting and record-keeping). We also use your personal information to advise you on updates and changes to our services or policies.
– To update you on our work at Child Rescue Nepal, and the difference your support is making to children rescued from slavery.
– To ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted.
– For marketing, campaigning or fundraising (e.g. raising awareness, inviting you to events, sharing posts, signing campaign actions, helping us raise money, donating to us) by mail, email, phone or social media to send you information about our latest news, campaigns and occasional fundraising activities. For example, we may send you fundraising appeals or ways to help us raise money.
– We also use personal information to administer employment, volunteering and internship applications.
Legal basis for processing personal information
– When sending marketing information via email to you as an individual, we will only do so with your consent. This may include information about our campaigns, our work and occasional fundraising activities.
– When sending information and appeals by post, we rely on ‘legitimate interest’ legal basis, sending information we consider may be relevant and of interest to you based on your previous interest in Child Rescue Nepal’s overall work to end child slavery. We will make it easy for you to opt-out of postal communications and fundraising activities at any time if you wish.
– The law allows personal data to be legally collected and used by an organisation if it is necessary for a legitimate business interest of the organisation – if its use is fair and balanced and does not unduly impact the rights of the individual concerned.
There are times when it is just not practical to ask a person for consent. In many situations, the best approach for Child Rescue Nepal and our supporters, beneficiaries, and volunteers is to process personal data because of our legitimate interests, rather than consent.
If you want to change our use of your personal data for marketing and fundraising activities, you can do so at any time by contacting our supporter care team on email@example.com or on 020 7183 0353.
Analysis, research and building supporter profiles
– When building a supporter profile, we may conduct research and/or analyse demographic, geographic and other information you’ve provided about your interests and preferences. We may also use this information to help us determine other things you might be interested in getting involved in, or what capacity you might have to donate or fundraise for us, particularly if you have made a substantial donation or are highly engaged with Child Rescue Nepal. Currently we do very little research and analysis at this level, but we may do more in future. If you do not want us to analyse your information or combine it with publicly available information to profile you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 7183 0353.
We may process your personal information for our legitimate business interests, which pertains to any activity which is mutually beneficial for ourselves as a service provider and you as an end user. For example, we have an interest in making sure our marketing is relevant for you, so we may process your information to send you marketing that is tailored to your interests. You have the right to object to your data being processed if you wish – if so, please email us at email@example.com. To find a more detailed explanation of ‘legitimate business interests’ read the Guidance on the use of Legitimate Interests under the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
HOW WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SAFE AND WHO HAS ACCESS TO IT
– At the Child Rescue Nepal, we take data protection very seriously. We make it a priority to ensure that we have the right level of controls, interventions and processes in place to ensure we keep your personal information safe. However, the nature of information transfer – particularly online – is never fully secure, so we cannot guarantee the complete security and protection of it when it is outside of our control. Once we have your personal information, we do everything in our power to ensure that we have the systems and processes in place internally to safely keep it.
– As mentioned above, only authorised staff and volunteers have access to your personal information, and only if essential. They are trained and understand the policies, processes and protocol for keeping it safe.
– Occasionally we use external companies to collect or process data for us on our behalf. These partners sign an agreed data protection contract and undergo a rigorous process to ensure they are compliant and able to follow our privacy notice before we agree to work with and share data with them. We have strict confidentiality agreements with our suppliers that they do not use, share, or sell the personal information we provide to them for undertaking or helping us to undertake our work.
– There are times when our emails to you or our website may contain links to other external sites. We try to ensure that these organisation’s sites are respectable, but we are not responsible for their privacy policies. There may be information that can personally identify you. Check their privacy notice to learn more.
– We will comply with legal requests to disclose your details as permitted by law to the police, Government and regulatory bodies or legal advisors if required.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will retain your personal information for as long as reasonably necessary for the relevant activity and relationship you have with us, as well as for any legal or regulatory requirement. For example, we will keep a record of your donations for seven years if you have opted in to Gift Aid, to comply with HMRC rules.
If you request that we stop sending you marketing, campaigning or fundraising communications we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us, we won’t keep any information that we don’t need. We may need to keep some of your details in order to contact you about administrating your account, under legitimate interest.
HOW TO ACCESS CORRECT OR DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Data protection legislation allows you to request a copy of the personal information relating to you which is kept by Child Rescue Nepal. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to submit a request.
If you would like to:
– Tell us that your contact details have changed
– Advise us that we have incorrect, out-of-date or inaccurate details for you
– Ask us to stop sending you information or communications
– Have your details removed from our database
Please email us at email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)20 7183 0353 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
We endeavour to amend or update your contact details and communications preferences as soon as possible after you make your request, however you should expect the approximate time-frames for the changes to be made:
– Email and phone – 7-14 working days from receipt of your request
– Post – 28 days from receipt of an opt-out or do not post request. This is due to the production times of postal communications, though we would expect this to be shorter.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE AND QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS NOTICE
We will regularly review and update our privacy notice at our discretion. Any significant changes to the way we treat your personal information will be made clear on our website and/or we may contact you directly if possible. Any changes posted after these changes or updates will be taken to mean you agree with these changes. Ensure you keep up to date with our privacy notice intermittently, or any time you provide personal information.
This privacy notice was last updated in May 2018. The date of the most recent revisions will appear on this page. If you do not agree to these changes, please do not continue to use Child Rescue Nepal’s websites to submit personal information to us.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org